[filmscanners] Re: 'Cheap' film scanner recommendations

I have to place some caveats into this discussion, Constantine.

1) The Nikon LS2000 tends to have some mechanical issues with it's
stage, which can lead to banding, so be careful with used models.  It is
VERY costly to repair.

2) This person mentioned he has a lot of Kodachrome slides.  The Nikon
has very collimated light source, meaning every piece of dirt, scratch
or dust will show up clearly in the image.  Since some Kodachrome dyes
tend to be somewhat IR opaque, digital ICE may not work well (it tends
to make the image look cloudy or out of focus) and in fact was not
recommended to be used on Kodachrome images.

3) Some people complained that Kodachrome images tended to not reproduce
color well, some conjectured that the LED color bandwidth was not wide
enough to color separate the dyes correctly.

4) Kodachrome mounted slides tend to have a fairly obvious peak in them.
  The LS2000 being a LED lighted unit, tends to have a large aperture
lens which gives it poor depth of focus.  As a result, the edge or
center tend to be out of focus on mounted Kodachromes.

I would actually suggest the Minolta Dual Scan IV for several reasons,
even if it does not have a auto slide attachment.

1) It uses USB 2.0 interface, so with a fast computer, downloads should
be relatively fast.

2) It uses a diffused clod cathode light source which both helps to
reduce scratches, dirt and dust from being picked up, and it is bright
enough to allow for better depth of focus.

3) Being new, if there is a problem with it, you can get it exchanged
under warranty.

Art