[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Supercoolscan 5000 ED

I've had the experience of trying to shield differential amplifiers within a
faraday cage of a very soft iron (solid) shield. I learned that even with
even with such expensive shielding and perfect ground,  there are limits to
what you can do - motors on another floor induced milivolt interference
within very good Tektronix physiological amplifiers which were fully
isolated from AC.  I don't think that any room with functioning computers
and monitors could ever be so quiet that a 16 bit converter would be useful,
and I have my doubts about a 14 bit converter.  Units with such converters
may be better than lesser units, but I suspect the improvement has to do
with other factors than the bit depth.

Brad (who is still at 12 bit)