[filmscanners] RE: Modern photography...

Hi Alex,

> Austin, I noticed you use Leafscan 45.

I do.

> So I begun to consider selling my leg and arm (and also my wife, car,
> house and children) :-) for Nikon LS9000 till encountered people's
> recommendation to go Leafscan 45 route instead.
> What can you say about this one ? Can it still compete wuality-wise
> with contemporary machines home-oriented such as Nikon LS9000 ?

I am not sure.  I primarily use it for B&W, and do little color with it.  It
is a three pass color scanner, so scanning times will be 3x as long.  I scan
medium format B&W at 4 minutes per scan (the secret is not using the default
exposure time, but setting it to minimum...which is plenty for
negatives...for slides, you want to use "optimum", so it's even a lot
slower).

> Is
> using Leafscan 45 indeed as much bother as I suspect comparative to
> desktop film scanners ?

Probably less of a bother, if you understand setpoints and tonal curves.  It
has a very basic, but entirely capable user interface...and IMO, has
everything you need...setpoints and tonal curves.

> I suspect Leafscan is Mac only, am I wrong ?

You are wrong.  I use it with W2k.

> I'm PC user. I don't shoot B&W (at least for now), neither planning on
> that in forseable future.

Then I might suggest a different scanner, especially if you are shooting
slides.  The advantage, for me, of the Leafscan is it is a true grayscale
scanner, not an RGB scanner as all other scanners are, and I believe it
gives exceptional B&W results.  I also do not find any need to use USM, as
everyone else seems to require.  My scans are tack sharp:

http://www.darkroom.com/Images/Mv03bCropw.jpg

(not that you can see much from a web image...)

> Any comments on it are appreciated (as well as any hints to Leafscan 45
> active user groups).

Yahoo has an active Leafscan user's group:

Regards,

Austin