[filmscanners] Re: Modern photography...

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Modern photography...
  • From: "Alex Z" <alexzfoto@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:28:53 -0700 (PDT)
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

Austin, I noticed you use Leafscan 45.
I stepped up into meadium format (6x7) about a half year ago and then
my main headache became the inability of quality scanning at my home
convenience as I used to with my 35mm by Nikon IV ED.
Flatbeds are out of question, I've tried a few of recent machines and
also Heidelberg supposedly good "friendly-priced" flatbeds - great
dissapoinment on 6x7 slide (most certain due to my addiction to the
quality produced by a good film scanners).
So I begun to consider selling my leg and arm (and also my wife, car,
house and children) :-) for Nikon LS9000 till encountered people's
recommendation to go Leafscan 45 route instead.
What can you say about this one ? Can it still compete wuality-wise
with contemporary machines home-oriented such as Nikon LS9000 ? Is
using Leafscan 45 indeed as much bother as I suspect comparative to
desktop film scanners ? I suspect Leafscan is Mac only, am I wrong ?
I'm PC user. I don't shoot B&W (at least for now), neither planning on
that in forseable future.

Any comments on it are appreciated (as well as any hints to Leafscan 45
active user groups).

Regards, Alex

--- Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com> wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> > -Is hours in the darkroom this still the best way to get
> > fantastic B&W pics?
>
> Not in my opinion...read on...
>
> > -Should I shoot film then use a film scanner to
> > manipulate and print?
>
> IMO, yes.
>
> > -Which film?
>
> For B&W, I shoot Tri-X and Plus-X.
>
> > -Should I shoot digital then use PhotoShop to make it
> > monochrome?
>
> That, IMO, will not produce near as nice an image as film.
>
> > -Should I use the same approach for color pics?
>
> Not sure of the question...but I only have a strong opinion on B&W.
>
> > -Which is the best process to print a B&W digital pic?
>
> IMO, Piezography...or at least a quad-tone inkjet printer.
>
> > Is there an online service to do so?
>
> B&W, not sure.
>
> > -I just got the CanoScan 8400f flatbed scanner- will I be
> > happy with the results?  Should I cough-up another $200
> > and get the CanoScan 9950f or Epson 4870?
>
> No idea.
>
> The best B&W results I have seen, has been medium format (or larger)
> Plus-X
> developed in D-76 1:1, and Tri-X same development.  Scanned (I use a
> Leafscan 45) and printed using Piezography on an Epson 3000.  The
> results,
> IMO, are better than I was ever able to achieve printing in the
> darkroom,
> and I had a lot of B&W darkroom experience.  The ability to use
> setpoints
> and tonal curves of the scanned image gives me better images IMO.
>
> Regards,
>
> Austin

> title or body

Discover Yahoo!