[filmscanners] Re: Epson 4180

At 12:50 PM 12/04/2005 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I have just purchased a Bronica SQ body from ebay (after using a Mamiya 645
>at college). Wow - seeing those images on the enlarger!
>
>Obviously my Scan Dual will not do MF negs, and I have seen favourable
>reviews of the Epson 4180 (which does 120 roll film). Has anyone used this
>scanner? It is a flatbed (USB2), with a built in film attachemnt in the lid.
>
>It claims to be 4800dpi x 9600dpi - but I'm unsure as to how that works -
>and they only quote times to scan 120 film to 4800 ppi.
>
>It also does 35 mm - so how well does it cope with these, as I'm sure I will
>not be allowed to have 2 scanners in the house ;).
>
>I shoot HP5 almost exclusively (and 1 or 2 Reala 100 colour).

Hi Chris

I have had the 4990 Photo (certainly a bit more expensive than the 4180 and
probably overkill for what I do, but same family) for a few weeks -- so far
have only scanned a very few 35mm negs with it (and only at 2400dpi).

The results haven't been very far behind my Polaroid 4000, so I'd expect
the larger formats to be pretty good.

Do expect long scan times if you use the higher resolutions, though.

For quite a few assorted sample pics from the 4180 and other flatbed
scanners, look here:

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/browse?id=28515