[filmscanners] Re: NikonScan negative question (was Dynamicrangequestion)

From: <lists@lazygranch.com>
Just to reiterate, most of the time you are just altering the post
procession of the raw scan. That is, more light didn't get through,but
the raw scan was interpreted differently.

That isn't true with Gain adjustments, is it?  I thought it causes the scan
to "delay" over the slide so that the raw data had more actual light in it.
It certainly takes the scanner longer. I cannot duplicate the result with
anything I've tried post-processing when a lot of Gain is needed.  Likewise
(but less effectively), reducing Gain in a burned-out slide will increase
detail in highlights but it's less useful data because slide film is
unforgiving when too bright.

Ed Verkaik