[filmscanners] NikonScan negative question (was Dynamic range question)

From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>

At this stage, you don't expand anything.  You set your setpoint so that you
only USE the valid image data within the overall range.  Therefore, say,
your scanner is 10 bits, and therefore gives you 0-1023...and your image
data occupies the range of data from 233-876, you set your setpoints at 233
and 876, and take THAT data and "remap" it to 8 bits.  In this case, it is a
decimation, and it is rarely an interpolation, since the valid data region
is almost always more than 8 bits.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I understand that that's the theory, but when I scan negatives on my Nikon
8000 with NikonScan, it clips either the lows, highs, or both.

It gets the black point increadibly wrong, but that I can deal with.

Do you (or anyone) know how to persuade NikonScan to distribute the range of
values from the scan within it's actual range without clipping? Once I have
that, I could scan at 14 bits, 4x or 8x, and set black/white points and futz
with curves in PS (well, PWP) later. Sigh.

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan