[filmscanners] Re: Dynamic range question

Sorry, it's Gary. I just use "lists" for, well, lists. ;-)

This part of your reply I can answer without much effort. As far as I
have been able to tell, when endpoints are set on a scan, the only
difference is in the post processing. That is, nothing different has
happened with the scanner. Programs like vuescan demonstrate this quite
well since you can see the raw image (what the CCD "sees") is not
changing as you alter the limits  Thus when you scan negative film and
zoom in on that narrow range, the post processing software (i.e. vuescan
or your twain)  is mapping that range of intensity into a range that
spans the full bit width of the word. Effectively, this is increasing
the contrast of the image. Also, this is truncating bits. That is, if
you only use 1/4 of the range of a 10 bit scan , you are getting 8
"real" bits worth of data (information). Thus negative film needs more
bits in the dataconverter than slide film.

When it is said that negative film has a wide latitude, think about how
that looks on the histogram. What you get is that same narrow region
where most of the samples are located, but the region gets shifted
around depending on the over or under exposure. With slide film, over or
under exposure slams the histogram to either side since there is very
little latitude in the film.

There are a few things that do change how a scanner operates. For
instance,vuescan can do a long pass, which basically uses a longer
illumination time. This is to help with very dense images.