[filmscanners] Re: scanning at less than optical res

I believe what Bob is stating is that some scanners literally skip lines
or sensors and just record the spaced information, rather than taking
the full resolution and then averaging the pixels out via a series of
algorithms.  This, of course, would introduce a great many sampling
errors, since it is a much coarser sample of the actual data.

Some scanners do seem to do just this, as the resulting scan takes as
little as one third the time to be scanned and produced as a raster
image when the resolution is quartered.

Art