[filmscanners] RE: Epson scanner drivers will not stay installed

Bernie,

I was searching for the proper name for the Adaptec layer and could not
remember it; but you came up with it.  It is the ASPI layer that I was
referring to.  I am not sure if it is called or qualifies as a "driver" but
it is a file that is used with SCSI devices.  It can also be obtained on the
Adaptec web site, I believe.  If I recollect correctly, there is also a
program for forcing the installation of the ASPI layer on Microsoft systems
which rejected it.

filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk wrote:
> installed
>

> Jim,
>
> To test the USB scanner as SCSI device theory,  you may want to
> install an ASPI driver and see if that helps, then follow the same
> startup sequence those of us using SCSI cards do (in my case a
> Polaroid 4000).
>
> Ed Hamrick has a driver posted on his web site:
> www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#windows  (same driver for Win2K &
> XP) Or look at www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aa571/aspi.htm  or
> http://aspi.radified.com/  both have notes on "sorting out the ASPI"
> driver mess" and links to Adaptec drivers.
>
> The last two websites mention the Adaptec/Microsoft struggle Laurie
> refers to.
>
> Startup sequence is turn on the scanner, then turn on or reboot the
> computer, scanner gets recognized.
>
> Bernie

---