[filmscanners] Re: Epson scanner drivers will not stay installed

LAURIE SOLOMON wrote:

>>What's strange is that the only device drivers that go away are the Epson
>>scanner drivers.
>>

>This makes me think the problem is that the scanner is basically a SCSI based
>scanner which uses a USB port but feeds to a SCSI driver.  The driver that
>goes away may be the SCSI driver.  The way that SCSI devices with SCSI cards
>work the card is recognized before the OS and the scanner is recognized only
>if it is turned on and connected to the card at boot up before the OS loads.
>If this is not the case one has to turn the SCSI device one and go to device
>manager and refresh and rescan for devices after the OS loads. This may be the
>same for USB connected internal SCSI devices as well. Have you tried
>rescanning for new deviced in device manager to fine the scanner after it has
>disappeared?

Yes.  That doesn't seem to do any good, Laurie.  However, In trying this
again to be sure, I decided to turn off the scanner and then turn it
back on.  On the third try it recognized it.  One other thing I should
point out.  When I first turn on the scanner, this is after the computer
has been turned on for the day, the scanner drivers are reinstalled -
"Windows has found new hardware" routine.  Almost every time there is an
indication of an error in the installation at the "Finish" applet.  This
is the only device that want to reinstall itself upon first use each
day.  You may be right about it "spoofing the SCSI drive through the USB
port.

>>Even stranger is that occasionally I have to install/uninstall the scanner
>>drivers several times before the scanner is recognize
>>

>This is common for SCSI scanners which often need to be reinstalled up to 8
>times in succession without any uninstalling of them before they are
>recognized by the OS.  This makes me think the problem is that the scanner is
>basically a SCSI based scanner which uses a USB port but feeds to a SCSI
>driver.  There were some older parallel port devices that internally were SCSI
>devices and used SCSI drivers but required a parallel port driver as well so
>that they could be ported to the parallel port and then to the SCSI driver.
>Your scanner may be along those lines except it uses a USB port and USB
>mini-driver instead of the parallel port min-driver employed by the older
>devices.  It is possible that this is confusing you OS or producing some sort
>of conflict.  Try installing the SCSI driver for this scaanner along with the
>USB and see if that helps.

I'm not sure how to do that.  Epson packages all the drivers for a
specific machine into one compressed file.

>>The shutdown sequence seems to go normally but it will
>>not power down
>>

>Somehow and for some reason your scanner is causing the system to go into
>hybernation rather than shut down.  Do you turn the scanner's power off before
>shutting the system down?  If not, the system may still see the scanner as
>beign in use and is reverting to hybernation rather than shut down.

I think that's what may be happening.  I usually forget to turn off the
scanner before I shut down the computer.  Come to think of it, this also
happens sometimes when I leave a CF card in the reader - and if I delete
the images on that card and do not remove it, the computer get upset
over a drive not being right.

Jim