[filmscanners] RE: Epson scanner drivers will not stay installed

>What's strange is that the only
>device drivers that go away are the Epson scanner drivers.

This makes me think the problem is that the scanner is basically a SCSI
based scanner which uses a USB port but feeds to a SCSI driver.  The driver
that goes away may be the SCSI driver.  The way that SCSI devices with SCSI
cards work the card is recognized before the OS and the scanner is
recognized only if it is turned on and connected to the card at boot up
before the OS loads.  If this is not the case one has to turn the SCSI
device one and go to device manager and refresh and rescan for devices after
the OS loads. This may be the same for USB connected internal SCSI devices
as well. Have you tried rescanning for new deviced in device manager to fine
the scanner after it has disappeared?

>Even stranger is that occasionally I have to install/uninstall the
>scanner drivers several times before the scanner is recognize

This is common for SCSI scanners which often need to be reinstalled up to 8
times in succession without any uninstalling of them before they are
recognized by the OS.  This makes me think the problem is that the scanner
is basically a SCSI based scanner which uses a USB port but feeds to a SCSI
driver.  There were some older parallel port devices that internally were
SCSI devices and used SCSI drivers but required a parallel port driver as
well so that they could be ported to the parallel port and then to the SCSI
driver.  Your scanner may be along those lines except it uses a USB port and
USB mini-driver instead of the parallel port min-driver employed by the
older devices.  It is possible that this is confusing you OS or producing
some sort of conflict.  Try installing the SCSI driver for this scaanner
along with the USB and see if that helps.

>The shutdown sequence seems to go normally but it will
>not power down

Somehow and for some reason your scanner is causing the system to go into
hybernation rather than shut down.  Do you turn the scanner's power off
before shutting the system down?  If not, the system may still see the
scanner as beign in use and is reverting to hybernation rather than shut
down.