[filmscanners] RE: Minolta 5400 & Photoshop CS: best waytoscan

There are several things that film scanner software do whiich are difficulat
if not impossible to do with post scanner image editing programs such as
Photoshop.

1.  Many scanner software permits the user to do multi-pass scans which may
enable one to capture additional detail in the shadow areas of positive
films or the highlight areas of negative films.
2.  Many scanner software packages have digital ICE3 provisions which rely
on the scanner's hardware based infrared channel, which would otherwise not
be available from progframs like Photoshop.
3.  With respect to color negative, scanner software frequently has
facilities to remove the orange masking from color negatives which is not
possible in the case of programs like Photoshop.

In addition, I would use 16 bit linear or raw scans for the scanning of
positive transparancies but not with color negatives since the 16 bit  scan
does not permit one to eliminate the effect of the color negative's orange
masking from the outputted file.

---