[filmscanners] Re: not enough memory?

Hi Berry,

I am not a Mac person so some terms may be different there than on PCs.

If I am reading it correctly, the computer has 320 MB of RAM of which
180MB is free or unused when you go to print.

You are unable to print a 17.6 MB image at 13x19" on your Epson 2200.  I
am assuming when you state you are printing at 1440 dpi, you mean that
the printer is using its 1440 dpi mode, since a 24 bit RGB image at 13 x
19" would have to be about 160 dpi native resolution to be about 18 MB.

To process an image you need two things, RAM memory to process it within
PS Elements, which you have more than enough of, (most Photoshop type
programs require about 4-5 times the amount of memory the image uses
(including layers) to work with within the program).  You seem fine there.

The other thing needed, and particularly when the image is being
processed to print, is a spooling area to make a rasterized image
of the printable image which will then be fed to the printer.  This
"image" doesn't reside in RAM memory.  However, it must be stored
somewhere, and that is on your hard drive.  During the printing process,
this information is sent to the printer line by line.

My guess if that you do not have adequate hard drive space on the drive
where your spool files are created.  This may be for a number of
reasons.  You may have had one or more crashes or hang ups while a
spooled file was already residing there, and it may still be there as a
corrupted partial file, although it should be cleared out when the
spooler closes down .  Or, you may have used up the space with other
things like internet browser caches, or new programs, or other things.

Again, since I am not Mac literate, I can only suggest that you find out
where on your hard drive your spool area is (which drive, which root
directory) and make sure there is adequate space there for the spooled
file can be created.

I don't know exactly how much space you need in the spooler hard drive,
but since it has to be converted to a CMYK file, which makes it grow,
I'm guessing you need about 25-40 megs of clear hard drive space.

Depending on the operating system, you may be able to move the spooling
location to another hard drive partition, if the one you are using is
too full.

Art