[filmscanners] Re: MInolta 5400

I haven't seen significant grain with my 5400, at least scanning fine grain
film. Make sure you're using the grain dissolver.
  As for the color, I recommend getting Vuescan for your scanning software
and use it to generate a scanner profile. Vuescan has worked much better
for me than the manufacturer's lousy software with both the 5400 and
LS5000, .  I generally have to tweak the color a tad from the Vuescan
profile, but no more than 0.1 usually.  You need IT8 transparency targets
to do this, available from Kodak, or Wolf Faust at http://www.coloraid.de/.
You can get Vuescan at  http://www.hamrick.com.

BTW, on a slightly different topic, Vuescan now functions in "scan from
preview" mode on the LS5000, as of version 8.04. Thanks for the tip, Tony.

Ed