[filmscanners] Re: Understanding dpi +

Art,

Thanks for the verification, and your comments re: "coming from a printing
(offset) background" make sense, the use of the term dot means something
quite different there.

The rest of your discussion relates to what I understand as the convolution
function relating any sensor attempting to acquire information from an
analogue signal (film, the magnetic domains on tape, whatever).  Not wanting
to go into that, I was attempting to simplify to verify my understanding of
scanners My experience is with very sensitive differential measurements (on
the order of on microvolt) from human subjects using an A/D, and doing the
necessary filtering digitally, ultimately going to an FFT.

Your discussion has brought up two questions.  The first is the apparent
grain in a photograph (say when displayed at "actual pixels in photoshop).
There are times when I have purposely used grainy film, and gotten quite
satisfactory results (i.e. grainy as if I were printing such a negative). I
had always assumed that I was seeing the "grain" - I know, dye clouds, and
grain or dye clouds, are really the result of clumping etc. - lets not go
there).  Am I seeing grain, or an artifact of the inherent grain and the
convolution with the sensor (as you clearly describe below)?

Second question is this.  I've seen scanners advertised with less resolution
(dpi or ppi) for use with 6X7 negs.  Simple calculation indicates that given
the lesser resolution (say 2800), the resulting size of the file is similar
to a higher resolution scan of 35 mm - say about 65 Meg + (it will be
somewhat larger, but the nominal dimension of 6000 ppi for the long
dimension on 35 MM is similar to the 7000 + ppi for a 6X7 neg.

That implies to me that such a scanner (again all other things being equal)
doesn't produce greatly  higher quality images than I do with my higher
resolution scanner and 35 MM. This assumes that my negatives are of the
highest quality - I hope that Contax and Zeiss qualify.  It seems to me that
the potential information at 2800 ppi on a 6X7 is only slightly greater than
4000ppi on a 35 MM image.  Of course there is the effect of the aspect ratio
difference which will provide some more information, but nothing like the
straight up comparison of the two formats when used in a traditional
darkroom (which becomes just a comparison of image area).

There are some other questions too, but I will let them be for now.

Thanks

Brad