[filmscanners] Re: Third-party repair options for Polaroid SS 4000?

I am very happy to report that Polaroid's Parts Department found a way to fix
the problem for a flat rate that was substantially lower than what I
anticipated, based on a lamp assembly replacement.

Even though I was given the option just to order the part, they could also
perform a cleaning, re-calibration, and add a 90-day warranty that I felt
offered excellent value. I was lucky to get the problem correctly defined so as
to spare troubleshooting time and expenses. Turnaround was very quick and I was
not charged for return shipping.

My thanks to the lister who got me in touch with the right person at Polaroid
-- and to that lady and her colleagues, too!

Phil

On 14:49, Philippe Le Zuikomane wrote:

>Hello all --
>
>I have a Polaroid SprintScan 4000 (SCSI) with a defective lamp and I
>was quoted a $125 fee just to get an estimate and a minimum $400 fee
>for any repair. Then the rep apparently forgot to fax the work order
>as promised and ignored an online query quoting the RMA number.
>
>This does not strike me as serious service. Also, I was surprised
>that Microtek quotes a much lower estimate fee for its comparable
>model with shared parts. It seems to me I could buy a secondhand SS
>4000 for the minimum repair fee or buy a more recent model from a
>competitor for the price quoted for a trade-up to a SS 4000 plus
>(over $700).
>
>Is there any way third-party repair can be procured?
>
>Phil

==