[filmscanners] RE: Understanding dpi

If I understand what you are saying, I think that I cannot agree with your
explanation. Your analogy appears to be confounding halftone dots with
halftone cells.  Moreover, it is not necessarily the case that either
translate one-to-one into pixels or into samples. Also I believe that if
your analogy was correct, the 2000 dpi would represent a halftone cell
consisting of two dots while the 4000dpi would be a halftone cell with 4
dots, such that there would be 2000 cells per inch (or 4000 halftone dots
per inch) versus 4000 cells per inch (or 16000 halftone cells per inch).

First, technically there is a difference between dpi which is usually used
in reference to resolution in terms of halftone dots or cells per line per
inch ( or lpi -lines per inch in printing press terms) on a printed page
versus ppi which is used with regards to pixels which typically refer to
resolutions in terms of picture elements in a monitor display versus spi or
samples per inch which refers to resolutions in terms of the number of
samples captured by a capture device such as a scanner or digital camera
from the original subject.  Often and usually wrongly, these measures and
terms are used interchangabley as if they were identical or equivalent to
one another.

Second, the key factor in determining the quality and equivalance of scanner
resolutions is the difference between the native optical resolution of the
scanner (whatever terminology is used to define the units per inch) and
interpolated resolutions or software generated resolutions of the scanner
(whatever terminology is used to define the units per inch).  The former
comprises the actual scanner resolution as opposed to some mathematically
generated derivative of the actual resolution.

Third, with respect to output resolutions and the original question, the
quality of a scanner and its output is as much determined by the bit depth
of the scanner ( i.e., the dynamic range of tone that the scanner can
capture and recognize and the capacity of the scanner to recognize tonal
distinctions within that dynamic range and discern or differentiate those
distinctions from noise) and the quality of the scanners design, sensors,
and hardware componets as by the optical resolution if it capable of
capturing and out putting at.  Thus, the stated resolution differences
between scanners may be irrelvant in terms of the quality of the output.
Furthermore, the amount of resolution needed to do a quality capture and
output will depend on the size and type of original that is being scanned as
well as the pruposes to which the scan is being used.  For example, one does
not need as much resolution for reflective originals as for transmissive
originals or for large originals as opposed to small originals.  To use a
scanner to scan an 8x10 sheet of film at 4000spi is overkill unless, for
instance, one is going to enlarge the captured image to billboard size or
crop out and enlarge into a 16x20 inch image only the head of one person in
a large group shot, holding all other scanner spec equal.

Fourth, the size of the output resolution, holding other variable constant,
becomes important when one is scanning small 35mm originals which will be
enlarged 5 or more times full frame upon printing or which will be cropped
and enlarged to a size of 5 or more times the size of the 35mm original full
frame.  Here, you want an optical resolution high enough so that you can
enlarge the image size which will effectively reduce the resolution and wind
up with an optical resolution of 200 - 300 units (whatever terminology is
used to define the units per inch) without resorting to interpolation.
Thus, 4000 spi scanner will allow one to enlarge the scanned frame larger
without resorting to interpolation (e.g., resampling upward) than would be
the case for a 2000 spi, assuming both scanners resolutions are optical
resolutions.  This would be true for originals whatever their size; but more
than 2000 spi may not be needed to scan for instance a medium format frame
and 1200spi may not be needed to scan a 4x5 or larger film frame.  This is
also the case for reflective originals scanned on flatbeds with respect to
optimum resolutions in relation to final image sizes; but with respect to
quality of scans, anything more than 600-1200 spi for outputs 1-3 times the
size of the original is usually unnecessary since the dynamic range of most
reflected originals is much narrower than for transmissive originals and
details tend to be more blocked up on the extreme ends of the histogram for
reflective originals than for transmissive originals.

---