[filmscanners] Re: SS4000 again

Rob,

I have done it. I may have disassembled mine farther than absolutely
necessary in the process, but I did get a pretty good look at all of it.
The CCD is actually mounted at a right angle and is unlikely to have
much if any dust on it. The only thing you need to worry about cleaning
is the mirror. It must be done delicately since it's a front surface
type. There is also a lens in front of the CCD that must not be touched
- PERIOD. Do nothing more than blow it off. I know someone else who
tried to clean that lens on his machine and had all the anti-reflective
coating wipe off onto the swab he was using. His machine still works,
but has some flare problems with high contrast images. If you're
reasonably competent mechanically you should be able to handle
disassembly. Be careful removing the cover - it's attached to the
chassis by wiring for the buttons and LED's on the top.

Cliff Ober