From: "Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca>
To: <mail@paul-roberts.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 10:16 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: high-iso scanning: minolta 5400 or nikon LS-50 ??

Hi Simon,

I think you have a good basic understanding of your options.

Grain Aliasing is going to likely be a problem with any scanner in the
2400-2900 dpi range, especially with a higher grain film like ASA/ISO
800 types.

I also own a DS II, and I know from where you speak about grain and dust
problems, and noisy shadows.

I would suggest you consider, especially with the current pricing, the
discontinued Elite II, which is basically the SD II with IR digital dust
reduction and a wider bit A>D converter.  That should both remove the
dust problem, reduce grain, and noise.  It uses a USB 1.1 interface.

To further reduce grain, consider buying the diffusion filter being sold
3rd party.  It better mixes the lighting making grain edges less extreme
and reducing dust even in images where due to film type dICE cannot be used.

Another option is the DS III.  No IR cleaning but higher bit depth on
the A>D, and a USB 2.0 connection, which speeds things considerably.
ALso, a new software driver.

Both of these Minoltas are value priced.

The newer 5400 has higher res, reducing grain aliasing problems, and
also has dICE.

The Nikons will indeed have much more limited DOF, which can be
problematical with even mildly warped films, and dICE is a must, because
it even picks up dust and surface defects more easily than the DS II or III.

The FS4000 Canon is not a bad choice at current pricing (starting at
about $500 US).  They have their own IR cleaning (FARE) and 4000 dpi
resolution which limits grain aliasing.  It has both SCSI and USB 1.1
interfaces.

Art