[filmscanners] RE: Silverfast Aquisition

This is what has me confused.  During the Silverfast acquisition I choose a
shadow  area and tell Silverfast to make this location, say, 12.  Everything
below 12 would then go to pure black when printed.  Now I open the image,
after scanning, in Photoshop and this area that I called 12 is now, based on
what you say, moved to 0 and, I assume, anything with values less than 12 is
now lost and grouped in with the 0 level pixels.

So, based on this, I had better have gotten the shadow choice right because:

1) I can no longer retrieve the pixels that were less than 12 before
scanning and decide to have set the shadow point at 8 or some other number
less than 12 and

2) If I want to move the shadow point to 15 it becomes confusing because I
really wouldn't move it to 15 once in Photoshop, I would have to move it to
3 since 0 is really 12..is that correct and

3) In fact, it would become confusing to try to alter the shadow point in PS
if, in fact, as you say the other data less than  12 is clipped and 12
becomes 0.

I would think it would be preferable to have all the data translated into PS
with the shadow slider just set correctly but the remainder of the data
preserved so that one application would fit seamlessly into the other, if
that makes sense.

It seems to be recommended to make all these adjustments in the scanner
software, if possible, to have the 'best' data, but it seems to me that it
would be even better to preserve as much data as possible and then bring all
the data into PS to alter it there so that it can be done with layers and
you can change your mind or make duplicate images with different layers.
That is what I am finding confusing...

Howard

> From: Howard Grill
>
> I am sure the answer to this is simple, but it is causing me some
> confusion.
> If I scan a 35 mm slide with a filmscanner using Silverfast Ai
> software and
> set the shadow and highlight in Silverfast prior to the final
> scan...how do
> those points translate into Photoshop?  More specifically, say I set the
> shadow point to 10 and the highlight to 248 in Silverfast and then do a
> final scan and subsequently open the image in Photosohop...will the spots
> that were determined to be the highlight and shadow in Silverfast
> remain at
> a level of 248 and 10 when opened in Photoshop, or will these
> pixels now be
> set to 255 and 0?

255 and 0. If they stayed at 248 and 10 then there would hardly be any point
to the controls. ;-)

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco