[filmscanners] Re: Better DOF than Nikon?

Here's an indirect solution you might find useful
until you find a better scanner.

My LS-2000 DOF drives me up the wall on curled
negatives. A few weeks ago there were some that I
absolutely had to print, but no matter where I set the
focus point in VueScan, some area was out of focus.
What I ended up doing was creating multiple scans with
focus points set to "near" and "far" parts of the neg
so that all areas of the negative were in focus, just
not in the same file. From there I Shift-dragged the
files on top of each other into a single Photoshop
file and used layer masks to blend all the sharp parts
together into a single sharp scan. One problem with
this method is that the scans can be slightly
different in dimensions where they warp, so you may
have to apply very slight distortion (a few pixels)
with the Transform tool to avoid softness caused by
misregistration. Temporary use of the Difference layer
mode will show you what's out of register.

Yes, it is a major, major pain in the behind to get
around the DOF problem. But I got the prints out.