[filmscanners] RE: Better DOF than Nikon?

> From: Arthur Entlich
>
> Well, that's hard to say without knowing the extent of the ripples and
> which model scanner you are considering.
>
> How much distance are we speaking about between the upper most and
> deepest ripple?  Are we speaking of potato chip ripples or what? ;-)
>
> I have a Minolta Dimage Dual II and a Polaroid SS 4000+, and if you give
> me some dimensions, I can try to replicate it and see what they can do
> with it.  Also, have you tried to remount the slides to see if they can
> be made to lie more flat?

It's hard to measure, but just eyeballing it, I'd say that I have easily a
millimeter of warpage on some of them. And it's not necessarily a smooth
domed curve from one edge to the other--some slides have ripples down one
edge. (Although a simple curve of sufficient magnitude would be an adequate
DOF test.)

I've remounted slides in anti-Newton glass mounts, and got somewhat better
focus, but noticeable grain from the glass. However, there are two problems
with remounting. First, it's extremely time-consuming. Second, some of the
slides have ripples in them that even glass sandwiches won't take out. I
really think that increased DOF is the only way I'll ever get decent files
out of these.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco