[filmscanners] RE: Ink-jet Print File Resolution; was: Pixels and Prints

Preston,

You do raise some interesting questions.

I have no doubt that Bob and others have read these claims as to the
operative native printer resolutions for inkjets in official Epson
literature and that they are not just numbers grabbed out of the air. I also
have no problem with anyone asking for documentation or evidence or taking
the position that you have - e.g., " I just put more credence in theories
and facts than in opinions and uncontrolled observations."  I would just
caution that facts are defined and determined by one's (a) theoretical
conceptualizations, (b) methods of observation, perception and deduction,
and (c) perspective or point of view; and these in turn are informed by
one's intent and purposes at hand.  Thus, in many cases, facts are really
nothing more than informed opinions and controlled observations often biased
by the values, interests, and spin of the one making the claims.  Given
this, a key problem with the information and data that passes as theory and
fact put out by the experts of official sources is that they rarely specify
explicitly in any clear detail the standards that they are using in deriving
these theories and facts, exactly what their precise referents for their
terms and specifications are, or what biases or spin have entered into their
interpretation of their observations and facts when they articulate them in
their statements.  Thus, we have technical documents that will refer to
"ppi" and "dpi" and "spi" all in the same statement sometimes
interchangeably and other times as distinctive notions; we have references
to resampling, resizing, and interpolation as distinct types of operations
and as the same type of operation.  I am sure that you can think of a host
of other examples where precision and explicitness of the criteria and
referents of terms and specifications are vague, ambiguous, and/or
non-existent, which make them as useful as the uncontrolled observations and
opinons that you wish to give less credence to.

But once again, I do think you have raised some good questions that have
rarely been raised before.