[filmscanners] RE: Printer drivers at 720ppi

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Printer drivers at 720ppi
  • From: "" <robg@wordweb.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:43:20 +1000

"Bob Frost" <bobfrost@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> 240 dpi is not all that is needed, because the Epson
> driver upsamples that (or any other dpi you send it)
> to 720 dpi (desktop printers), using Nearest Neighbour
> type upsampling. So 720 dpi is what is needed by the
> driver.

Hi Bob,
I was on the Epson list for a long time and this is the first time I've
heard someone make this statement about the internal behaviour of the Epson
driver.  Can I ask where this knowledge comes from?  In the past I found
a formula written by Epson themselves which gave the optimal ppi for photos
as 240ppi.

I'm also wondering how the figure of 720 ppi you state above is unaffected
by the model of the printer.  The old Epson 3000 was only "720 dpi", and
most of the Epson printers are "720 dpi" in one direction.  But some of
the recent printers are "2880 dpi" in one direction.  Does the magic number
still apply to the most recent printers?  It sounds surprising that it would
apply to every Epson ever made.

This isn't a flame - since I have an Epson 1160 myself, I'm interested in
anything which might give better results.

Rob

PS Someone else asked about the method for scanning a whole film with the
same settings in Vuescan.  I beileve you need to look at the advanced workflow
information on Ed Hamrick's website.  There is a setting in Vuescan to lock
the exposure.