[filmscanners] Re: Pixels and Prints

<derek_c@cix.co.uk> writes:

I've produced very acceptable 13x9s from a 1.68 megapixel camera, the
Canon Pro 70.

Yes, when you get up close you can see staircasing from the lack of
resolution, but in practice you don't examine big pictures close up.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Most people who make outrageously large prints from digital originals are
quite happy with them. Yet I find my 4000 dpi MF scans look a lot better at
A4 than images from my 5MP consumer digital camera. (Actually, 645 looks
better at A3 than 5 or 6 MP at A4.)

Also, I found that at about 9 MP (created by stitching) consumer digital
images begin to show the amount of detail I like for A4 prints. So I'm
waiting out the 6MP generation.

And for me the complete absence of film grain makes all the difference.
<<<<<<<<<

That certainly has a lot to do with it<g>.

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan