[filmscanners] Re: Hi bit discussion

Another, if convoluted, way to dodge-burn with16-bit tonality and with great
control is to
duplicate your document, make the move you want on the dupe (which is still
16-bit), then
convert both dupe and original to 8-bit, and bring the altered dupe in as a
separate layer.
Add a layer mask, initally revealing nothing, then paint in the areas you want
altered in
the layer mask. It works better if you make the initial 16-bit move stronger
than you
really want it to be, and use either brush opacity or layer opacity to moderate
it. This
can of course be extended to multiple layers for multiple conflicting moves, or
just to try
something several ways.