From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Roy Harrington
Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2003 12:49 PM
To: laurie@advancenet.net
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Hi bit discussion

On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 09:39  AM, LAURIE SOLOMON wrote:

> Bob,
>
> I am not challenging anything you have said since I am in agreement
> with it;
> but I need some elaboration on one of your remarks: "(although you can
> convert the file to 8bit, make a selection, save it, and then load it
> into
> the 16bit original!)."  I think I know how one loads a selection in a
> file;
> but can and how does one load an 8-bit selection into a 16bit file?
> If and
> when one does , does Photoshop automatically convert the 8bit
> selection back
> to 16bit or does it convert the 16 bit file to 8bit to match the
> selection?

Laurie,

There really isn't a different 16bit selection -- they are all the
same.  As long as
pixel size of a file is the same you can load selections back and forth.
So, if you have a 16bit file and you want to use the magic wand, you
Duplicate
the file and convert it to 8bit.  Now you have both a 16 bit and an 8
bit version
of the file.  Do all the magic wand stuff, feathering, etc.  Save the
selection.
Now go to the 16bit file and Load the selection.  Now all your
operations in
the 16bit file use the selection you made in the 8bit file.

> Moreover, what does performing this type of operation accomplish in
> effecting the appearance of the image and does it work with all types
> of
> operations or just a few?
The selections themselves have no effect on the image.

------------------------------

> I wish i knew of a program that allowed dodging/burning in 16 bit, do
> you?
>
> tom Robinson

Tom,

A much better way to do burning/dodging that works in both 8 and 16 bit
files
is to use the History Brush.  Simply select the History Brush, click on
the
current state in the History palette.  Now the important part:  the
blending
mode of the brush determines the effect.  Multiply will give you burning
(darkening) and Screen will give you dodging (lightening).   Use
whatever
size brush you like (big is best I think).  Also use a low Opacity like
10% to 20%.
Paint over the image.  If you do a lot it may be necessary to move up
the
History state.

This method is really nice because it avoids clipping the
shadows/highlights.

Roy

-
Roy Harrington