[filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest for

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest for
  • From: "bryce hashizume" <bwv812@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:37:17 -0600

>Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 03:38:14 -0700
>From: Arthur Entlich <artistic-1@shaw.ca>
>I always have to laugh when these kind of postings show up.  Not because
>they are or are not valid, but because their intent is so disingenuous.

Perhaps, but no less disingenuous than some members here who make oblique
references about the ignorance or outright stupidity of certain groups of
people and clearly imply that their interlocutor belongs to that goup of
people, but then deny that they have ever directly insulted anyone.

>Tony has a private email account, which anyone has access to if they
>wish to write Tony a personal comment about their view of the list.

It`s quite possible that he is unaware of Tony`s personal email address, as
am I, even though I`ve been a member of this list for perhaps a year.

>This type of public posting is the sour grapes kind.

That sort of message seems rather prevalent on this list.

>If the person has
>a gripe with the list members, the honest thing would be to address the
>list members.  If he has a gripe with certain list members then he could
>do that as well, preferably in private mail.
>
>But what this posting is really about is to play elitist games (I could
>say something about Morgans as cars, and their owners, but I'll
>refrain).

You could say something about Morgan owners? I think you just did.

>A "Dear Tony" letter translates to "I'm writing the moderator
>and owner of this list to express my dissatisfaction with it and I want
>to make sure everyone else reads it and feels guilty".

Ahhh.... so he is addressing the list members, after all. At any rate it`S
not as opffensive as the "I`m writing to a sizeable constituency of this
list to express my dissatisfaction with their opinions and I want to make
sure they read it and feel stupid."

>In looking through my admittedly incomplete archives, and as memory
>serves, I do not recall the poster ever posting a public message before.
>   I don't know how long he has been on the list, but he certainly hasn't
>been an active participant in a long time, if ever.
>
>Whenever lurkers come out of the woodwork to complain about the content,
>or atmosphere of a list, I have only to say, why don't you participate
>and change the direction or content of the list?

I have never contributed to this list either. I initially joined because I
was interested in purchasing a film scanner and I wanted to learn about
them. My lack of knowledge about scanners and scanning would make any
contribution by me at best useless, and at worst counterproductive. On the
other hand, it seems that 80% of the "discussion" on this list comes from a
group of about 10 people. I somehow imagine that there are a lot more than
10 members on this list, so I guess the rest of us are nothing more than
deadweight and do not deserve to have an opinion this list or its conduct.

>Whenever lurkers come out of the woodwork to complain about the content,
>or atmosphere of a list, I have only to say, why don't you participate
>and change the direction or content of the list?
>
>I may very much agree with the poster, or I may indeed be one of the
>people he is complaining about, but that really isn't the issue. This
>list is pretty much democratic.  Tony rarely intervenes, and like any
>other democracy, it works when people participate.  Complaining and
>walking home is only a valid method of protest after you have tried to
>make change by participation and still failed.

On the other hand, democracies don`t work very well when faced with
filibuster after filibuster. It seems like some people here have the opinion
that whoever talks the longest wins. If it comes to the point that you are
repeating yourself over and over again (and growing more and more imperious
with each repitition) maybe it`s time to just let bygones be bygones.

Sincerely,

bryce hashizume