[filmscanners] Re: 8 bit versus 16

Simply stated: I think Arthur is wrong!  ;-)

I have several images on my web photo galleries who gave me a headache with
posterisations in the (monochromatic) blue skies while editing.
A photo editing program working with 16 bit/channel and feeding it with the
maximum available bit-depth from the scanner would be the solution.
Unfortunately PSP (PS is to expensive for me) is working only with 8
bits/channel. VueScan is ideal in bringing all the information which my
scanner can find from film to my digital image, but is not designed to
manipulate the images.

> Frank Paris wrote:
>> Bert, I'm with you.

Count me also to the 16 bit/channel club :-)

I have mentioned many times the following link which proves my statement
when this discussion about 8 bit/16 bit is going on again and again:
http://www.creativepro.com/story/news/7627.html?cprose=I20

Advise to newbies: don't believe Arthur and don't believe Bert, Frank or me.
But if you have posterisation after manipulation of your image, you know the
source of your problem!

--
Henk de Jong

http://www.hsdejong.nl/
Nepal and Burma (Myanmar) - Photo Galleries