[filmscanners] RE: 24bit vs more

Hi Rob,

> I dispute the claim that
> if you have
> to do a significant amount of adjustment after scanning that you haven't
> done it right.  It depends on the circumstances.

Hum.  Obviously, I disagree, and note, it's not just after scanning but
after scanning and letting the scanner do setpoints and tonal curves.  If
you get raw data, well, obviously, you have to do all your adjusting after
the scan!

You should either get raw data from the scanner, or do the setpoints/tonal
curves "correctly" in the scanner software.  Keep in mind, every time you
re-do setpoints/tonal curves, you are degrading the data.  It's just a fact
of how setpoints/tonal curves work.  What the significance of that
degradation is, will vary greatly, so it may not be *that* bad...but why do
things twice when you can do them right the first time?

> Getting the *right* 24
> bits can sometimes better be done with an image editing program than the
> scanner's interface.

I understand that some scanner software is lacking, and that is where you
simply should get raw data from the scanner, and learn how to do a better
job of setpoints and tonal curves in PS.

Regards,

Austin