[filmscanners] 24bit vs more

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] 24bit vs more
  • From: "Rob Geraghty" <robg@wordweb.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:05:38 +1000

Unfortunately I'm not one of the lucky majority who have scanners that
produce data with more than 10 bits per channel.  I am still stuck with my
LS30.  I don't know about other scanners, but I can say that difference
between scanning using Vuescan at 10 bits per channel instead of Nikonscan
at 8 bits per channel makes a HUGE difference in the information I can get
out of film.  In particular, I find that subtle shadings of similar colour
(eg. flower petals) become posterised with Nikonscan while Vuescan produces
smoother results.  Because Vuescan doesn't have the facilities to adjust
things that Nikonscan does, I always need to do a significant amount of
editing later.  But Vuescan turns the LS30 into a worthwhile scanner, where
with Nikonscan it's VERY ordinary indeed.

My point is that for some of us, getting the data into the PC at more than 8
bits per channel makes a lot of sense.  I dispute the claim that if you have
to do a significant amount of adjustment after scanning that you haven't
done it right.  It depends on the circumstances.  Getting the *right* 24
bits can sometimes better be done with an image editing program than the
scanner's interface.

Rob
(yes, I know I'm late to be wading into the discussion)