[filmscanners] RE: 8 bit versus 16

>Just because the tools today cant make my
>gold 100% pure, doesnt mean the tools tomorrow wont.

While I agree if one is talking about producing archive masters but not with
respect to working files, this agreement is tempered by an understanding
that Austin may be right that the visability and usefulness in terms of
practical manifestations of the image are restricted by constraints such as
the limitation of the human eye ( a constraint which is not relevent with
respect to creating archive masters where one is attempting to capture as
much raw data about the image as one can so as to have a large enough
universe of data to handle future improvements in applications and hardware
devices that might be able to make use of the additional data in performing
their functions) and by the fact that current scans and the files derived
from them ( archival or working files) may be rendered non-usable by future
advances in technology which renders the reading of said files obsolete,
resulting in their production being an experiment in futility.