[filmscanners] RE: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest for Tue 2 Sep, 2003

A few comments which may bear mentioning and enquiring about:

>My digital prints look better than most of the rest of the
>photographers where I sell.

Are you sure this is because of their scanning in 8-bit versus 16-bit and
not because of some other factor in their workflows or the consequence of
differences in equipment?

>When I learned to do 16 bit dodging and burning using the history erase or
>feathered selections, instead of the 8 bit dodge and burn using simple
>tools, i noticed an enormous improvement in my prints.

Interesting!  Where did you learn of this technique and where can one read
up on it?

> Now, I can do all
>kinds of image manipulation in 16 bit, and then when it is time to print it
>and minor changes in contrast or lightness are necessary, they can all be
>done in hi-bit

Maybe; but what are you printing or outputing to?  Most of the output
devices including printers will not accept 16-bit or hi-bit input files,
which means that you would have to convert the files to 8-bit in the end
before sending them to the printer; how does this impact on the quality of
the file so as to make it different from what you would have gotten using an
8-bit scan or even a hi-bit scan that was converted to 8-bit when working on
it in Photoshop using the Photoshop tools that will only work 8-bit along
with those that do work with 16-bit as well as 8-bit?