[filmscanners] Re: NeatImage

Peter Klein wrote:

>  I know that the Noise
> Filter Settings denote how much data is *considered* noise, relative to
> the
> profile, and the Noise Reduction Amounts denote how much reduction is
> actually applied.  But I don't really understand what practical (visual)
> difference it makes to adjust one as opposed to the other.

The noise filter settings are all about characterising and identifying  the
 noise as accurately  as possible, without which NI isn't going to work
optimally.

Having  done that, how much you apply will vary according to the   settings
on the next tab, and will vary according to the image.

If you get the  first wrong, NI may produce artefacts or work unevenly
across the tonal range, or just not reduce noise at all.

If you get the second wrong, the image will remain noisy or turn  to
plastic goo *as  well  as* producing  artefacts or working unevenly, if the
 settings were no good as well.

So it's important to get the Filter Settings correct, whilst the  amounts
are subjective variables.

Fortunately,  once you've created filter settings for a particular
scanner/film  combination, or digicam at a specific ISO, you can save  and
re-use them, adjusting only the amounts.

Regards

Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk
Online portfolio & exhibit + film scanner info & comparisons