[filmscanners] RE: New Fuji Films

That is so off the wall.

> I look at my Kodachromes and they used to seem to accurately
> capture the colors of the "real" world.  Now I look at them
> (and they have been dark stored and have not faded) and when
> I compare them to current film stocks they look downright "drab".
>
> Even the new filmstocks often end up further color saturated
> when they go to my computer and printer. Yes, I like those
> colors a-popping, but I do also recognize that its because I
> miss those good ol' acid days, not because that's how nature
> looks.

I'm LMAO here. So you dropped acid in the 60's, is that what you're
saying? And you think it fried your brain? I think that proves you
didn't drop acid and that you don't know what you're talking about.

> Also, as we age, our lenses yellow and become less
> able to pick up the blue range of the spectrum, so we tend to
> select films that exaggerate these areas of the spectrum.

I was hoping you would bring that up. I have colorless acrylic implants
in both eyes because of cataract surgery. I see colors like a baby and
was amazed and delighted when they removed the eye patches after the
operations. The colors of nature ARE vivid. You just don't see them. I
do.

> You know those "older" people wearing purple clothes and blue
> hair... they don't know it, in most cases.

Keep it up. This is getting better and better.

> They think they
> are wearing earth tones, and neutral white gray hair.  The
> blue is there to counteract the yellowing of their vision.
> Just ask anyone who had cataract surgery and had uncolored
> lenses installed rather than yellow ones.

Well, that's me, and I haven't noticed that old people wear purple
clothes. You're so full of it it is pathetic. As if old people dye their
own hair and wouldn't have a stylist with okay eyesight do it like
everyone else. You're living in some kind of fantasy world.

The fact is, the organic lens in the eye yellow so slowly (starting
about the age 19) that no one ever even notices. They forget that deep
blues even exist and so don't gradually start looking for them in their
sixties or whatever. It isn't just the blues that are lost, either. It's
also the vivid reds. So all of you middle-aged photographers who have
not benefitted from modern cataract surgery are only seeing a grayed
down imitation of the real world. (Please let's not get into a
philosophical discussion about what the "real world really is.")

> They often end up
> tossing half their wardrobe and changing their hair color.

This is the most ridiculous stuff I've ever heard.

> Many ophthalmologists won't even give elderly people clear
> lenses during a cataract replacement because the person finds
> it either too shocking or can't cope with the imbalance of
> one eye to the other, if one is changed at a time.

This is so ridiculous you've got to be making all this up. I know,
because I had long conversations with my surgeon, world renowned among
fellow ophthalmologists who did much of the original research, and he
never mentioned anything like this to me. What I experienced was
amazement, delight, and thanksgiving. The experience was anything but
disturbing, and to this day I am STILL amazed by the vividness of the
colors of nature that Velvia manages to capture for me. My doctor spoke
of universal positive experiences after cataract surgery.

Just think about what you're say here. "The person finds"??? What does
this mean? The surgeon puts in clear lenses, is dismayed to discover the
person freaking out from the vivid colors, so the surgeon puts the
patient back on the operating table to insert yellow lenses to calm him
down? Well as I am sure Miss Elizabeth Bennett would say once again,
"I'm all astonishment."