[filmscanners] RE: NeatImage:

> From: Preston Earle
>
> I downloaded the free trial version of Neat Image some time ago (file is
> dated November, 2001). I have tried numerous times to use it and have
> yet to get an image what was *any* better than the original. Does anyone
> have any suggestions as to how to manipulate the settings to get good
> results, even as part of a testing process? Has the commercial version
> changed so much that the version I have is out-dated? I'm trying it on
> medium-quality JPG files from a ScanDual II scanner (3800x2500pixels).
> Do I need to save scans as TIF's to use Neat?

You're either using it wrong, or you're using it on images that don't have
significant noise or grain. Unfortunately, no one can give you the settings,
because the settings have to be extracted from the images themselves. You
have to select solid areas that have noise, and measure the noise
characteristics, and do so separately for darks, lights, and midtones (if
they exist in the image). And no, the file format doesn't matter.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco