physical RAM is really very little in the scheme of things with contemporary
machines having up to 3GB of physical RAM with as much as 1GB asigned to
Photoshop. However, unless you are working with 3 or 4 100MB plus files
during a session, it should not cause the Photoshop to freeze once you turn
the virtual memory back on and assign Photoshop a sccratch disk space one a
hard drive with some free contiguous unfragmented space of around 100MB or
more ( better yet assign the scratch disk itsown dedicated hard drive or, at
least a dedicated partition on a hard drive).

>There is 304MB installed RAM of which 120,000MB are assigned to Photoshop.

I assume that the 120,000MB iws an error and should read 120MB; otherwise
that is your problem, you are trying to do the impossible. :-)

You also might check to see if the files which are to be saved are flattened
files since sometimes undesr some settings one cannot save unflattened
files;  files that are 42 bit as oppposed to 24 bit also cannot be saved to
a TIFF format.