[filmscanners] RE: Scanner Profiling

Doug writes ...

> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:10:29 +1000, Julian Robinson wrote:
>
> > I think what shaf was saying is that if the scanner is accurately
> > calibrated color-space-wise, then it will take from the neg film the
> > 'exact' colors as they are recorded on the neg film, complete with the
> > color biases, the mask etc.
>
> Yeah, if you built the profile from a target shot on the same type of
> film.  The mask and gamut are different for every negative film.  The
> gamut is different for every slide film.

  An IT8 profiles the scanner, not the film.  If you do choose an IT8 with
the largest gamut, then the profiling process subjects the scanner to the
largest gamut as a test to find out if the scanner is capable.  If you throw
a small gamut at it you are not testing the scanner.  The profiling process
is as much testing the scanner as it is defining it.

  With respect to film characteristics, that's why Vuescan provides "film
types", although I with they worked better than they do.  Profile the
scanner+film combination if you like, but it's not necessary.

> > I really get confused by what is the meaning of a color space
> vs "absolute color".
>
> There's no such thing as "absolute color" once a human gets involved.

  I'm not going to get into a symantical discussion with you ... perhaps I
should have said "real" color.  In any case, film has "real" color, ...
whereas RGB data is meaningless unless it's defined by a color space, or a
devive's profile.  The scanners's profile will ultimately provide real color
for anything you want to do with it.  I meant to use the term for taking
this digital process (especially negative=>positive) back to its analog.  A
lot is still done by the eye, but device profiling and editing in defined
color space makes it easier, and outcomes more consistent.

> > Any help including ref to a good basic text welcomed.
>
> Evening's "Photoshop for Photographers" among others.
> His is a pretty good intro.

  See also Bruce Fraser's online tutorials, and his books are very readable
as well.
http://www.creativepro.com/author/home/40.html

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland