[filmscanners] Re: scanner dmax discussion

>"> and "1", means "0.5 to 1.0", so if you see the center of
>> that range as the "meaning" of the reported value, a 1-bit system is only
>> representing the range 0.25 to 0.75.
>
>I think that is what's incorrect, as the meaning IS the range, not the
>center of the range"

Except Austin, that's not how these devices are calibrated or tested.  The
universal (I have yet to see another one used but I am willing to be
corrected) approach is to use a step tablet with density increments of 1/3
of a stop and the 'dynamic range' is measured by seeing where the scanner
ceases to differentiate between two adjacent steps.

Assuming that is step 'n',  and that maps to 'all bits on', then it is
ambiguous as to whether 'All but LSD bit on' means
a) the range from 'all bits on -2' to 'all bits on -1'
or
b) the range from 'all bits on -1' to 'all bits on'
or
c) the range of density values that map to 1/2 way between 'all bits on -1'
to 1/2 way between 'all bits on'.

Since it is ambiguous, the most consistent way to do this is to assume that
each discrete measurement represents the center of a value range, +/-(0.5 x
the full value range).

Karl