[filmscanners] RE: umax film scanners

> From: Arthur Entlich
>
> However, I'm not sure it is needed for making 11 x 14" prints.  Epson
> printers really cannot resolve much beyond 400 dpi in any meaningful
> way.  A 4000 dpi scan of a 6x7cm film frame makes about a 2.35" x 2.75"
> film frame or 9400 by 11000 pixel scan.  Without cropping, other than
> for size ratio, that would be a resolution of about 785 dpi which is
> overkill by double of the best resolution the Epsons can extract
> information from.

Epson desktop printers resample to 720ppi, and the wide format printers
resample to 360ppi. Of course, 720ppi is up in the spatial frequency range
where the dot dither noise obscures all but the highest contrast detail, so
you're right that there isn't much point in pushing the printer that far.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco