[filmscanners] Re: Canon FS-4000 Scan Speed

> I am thinking about getting a new scanner to replace my aging HP S10
> Photosmart. I was attracted to the Canonscan based on specs, reviews etc.,
> until I came across the actual timings mentions in the imaging-resource
> review. He measured between 6 and 12 minutes per scan at maximum
resolution,

I've recently borrowed an fs4000 to do about 200 scans. I first used it on
my laptop (800Mhz P3) on USB and found that it took about 50-60mins to do a
set of 4 slides at max resolution (including calibration each time and time
for rotating and cropping). This was, off course unacceptable. I then
purchased Vuescan (because it saves files automatically and doesn't read
them into photoshop and the scanner doesn't re-calibrate with each set of
scans) and moved the scanner to a P3, 450Mhz desktop with an Adaptec SCSI
card (the one that came with my old fs2710) and scan speed just about
halved! Ok, I did not do the crop and rotate, but still.. Looking at my
scans later, I had to redo the first batch that I did on USB, since it
displayed considerable banding noise in certain channels, which was absent
from the SCSI scans. (Maybe Vuescan improved it, but I suspect it was the
USB that caused it)
Will I buy the fs4000? I'm actually waiting to see what the new Minolta 5400
comes out like before I do. If it does live up to spec and the price is
right, that'd be the one I'll get, else I'll definitely get the Canon
(Though, I do wish they made a sort of roll film and batch adapter for it!).

Regards
Thys

         Thys van der Merwe
Portfolio of African Images: