[filmscanners] Nikon LS40 and Epson Perfection 3200

Dear All,

I really asked the following question to the pentax-discuss mailing list but
have since learnt that this might be a better forum for the question.

I am considering purchasing either a Nikon LS40 or Epson Perfection 3200 for
scanning, primarily 35mm black and white negatives.  I also own a 6x6 camera
but I don't use it a much as I would like.  However, when I have time, I
would like to put many black and white films through it.

So my thoughts are: right now I'd be better off with a dedicated 35mm film
scanner.  However the thought of being able to scan MF without upgrading is
tempting, and on paper the 3200 looks at least as good as the LS40.  Can
someone give me a comparison of speed/quality I can expect from the Epson
versus the Nikon?  The Epson is cheaper than the Nikon too!

Also, I'm thinking of buying the Nikon over something cheaper such as a
Minolta Dimage Scan Dual because of the ICE feature.  I remember when I used
to use a LS1000 at school: I spent an awful lot of time rubber stamping away
dust specks.  I hear that ICE is no good for black and white films (I use
mostly FP4+, HP5+ and Delta films).  Is this really the case?  If I scan
mostly black and white, is there still any point in choosing the LS40 over
the Dual Scan (which is _very_ cheap at the moment).

I look forward to hearing your replies, comments and suggestions.

Thanking you all in advance.

Francis Tang.

--
Francis Tang, http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/fhlt/
An elegant weapon for a more civilized time. For over a thousand