[filmscanners] RE: comments on using NikonScan/PC

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: comments on using NikonScan/PC
  • From: "Nagaraj, Ramesh" <Ramesh.Nagaraj@ca.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 15:26:14 -0500

Ed Verkaik wrote:

>turn it off on Kodachromes and getting 30+ minute spotting jobs!  But...
>to my surprise... I have only seen one artifact so far, so ICE works
>fine with most Kodachromes! (Thanks to Jack Phipps for suggesting that I

I was great fan of ICE but now I avoid it as much as possible beacuse it
softens the image..
I do remove artifacts using PS. I feel sharp images are worth the time spent on
spotting with PS.
Spotting with PS could be tricky for portaits and is Ok for landscapes.
Sometimes, I scan low-resolution Jpeg with ICE and without ICE and this helps
to decide whether to use ICE or not, then I will do full-resolution scan.

In some cases ICE will produce bad effect, here is an example of it.
Ex: I had a macro shot of bark of the tree, it had verticles lines or textures.
ICE made the lines of the bark overlap on eachother and
spoiled texture of the bark. Without ICE, texture of the bark was very clear.

>Do any of you regularly use GEM or USM "on" for standard scanning?
I try to avoid GEM because I feel it slightly softens the image.
I use GEM for photos shot in foggy, misty, snow conditions.
In my recent snow shots, I was getting small red dots, Are these dots are film
grains?
I shot that roll with Kodak gold 200.

>just Nikon has opted to let its value stay the same when the curve line
>is changed?
I will leave to experts..

>For those using this software, what do you do for adjusting contrast or
>brightness?
I do not do any post scan adjustments, I use PS for this.
I do use "Anolog gain" to get the details in the dark area, in cases where I
have some extra cushion on hightlight side.

I have a doubt, In Nikonscan, I tag image as "Adobe1998 RGB".
When I open the same image in PS, it comes as "Nikon Adobe RGB".
Is "Adobe1998 RGB" & "Nikon Adobe RGB" are same?
If they are same, Can I simply assign "Adobe1998 RGB" to "Nikon Adobe RGB"
image?

Thanks
Ramesh