[filmscanners] Re: Epson Perfection 3200 vs dedicated

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 05:29:41PM -0800, Langan wrote:
> First here is the very positive review on the Epson 3200 Scanner
>
>       http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Scanners/Epson_3200/
> page_1.htm
>

> I have just had a 3200 Pro delivered and scanned several 50-year-old
> 35-mm Kodachrome slides.  I used the Epson driver in Photoshop 7.0 with
> a MacG4 and OSX.  I am happy but realize there is a learning curve upon
> which I have embarked.
>
> First results are inconsistant, but is it me?  Even in this
> inconsistancy they are very useful for the web and casual prints.  I
> have yet to investigate Silverfast and Monaco.
>
> My prior experience was with a Polaroid 2700 dpi SCSI input and this
> seems better.  Far easier to use.  Firewire connection is fast and
> productivity is way up!  Cannot compare to the 4000, but the reviw
> above did.

I didn't see any comparisons with a 4000dpi scanner in the review. I was
suprised at the improvement over the Nikon at 2700dpi although that must be
an older model coolscan as the coolscan IV scans at 2900dpi. I suspect the
coolscan IV is significantly better than earlier models. The 3200 didn't
come close to matching the Flextight IMO in detail.

The review didn't really have any real world tests to see what the
density range is that the scanner can capture. That seems to me a
significant omission.

Overall a positive review but the comparisons to film scanners left a lot to
be desired.

--
Tony Terlecki
ajt@mrps.demon.co.uk