[filmscanners] Re: HD failure [was RE: keeping the 16bitscans}

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: HD failure [was RE: keeping the 16bitscans}
  • From: "" <nick.grasso@hrads.com>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 13:19:54 -0500

Ed Verkaik wrote:

>>>If you all want a *real* problem to solve, try figuring out why my XPPro
1.3G A7A-266 512ram system is freezing randomly many times a day. (began
6mo ago, slowly getting worse, not cpu/mb temp, not software added, not
standby/hibernate, etc).  It happens more while scanning [scanner
connection for my post :-)] but also when doing nothing. It's driving me
nuts!!<<<

This sounds like a hardware problem to me. I had a very similar problem with my
last system (Pentium 200MMX). It would lock up randomly 2 or 3 times a week. In
my case, it was almost certainly the motherboard. I tried everything else, e.g.,
replace the memory, SCSI cards, software, etc., etc. When I got a new system,
the problem went away despite the fact that I put much of my old hardware into
the new system including the hard drive with the old OS. It definitely wasn't
software.

Is your scanner SCSI? If so, try removing the SCSI card and all SCSI devices and
running the system for a few days. Of course, if your boot disk is SCSI, you
won't be able to do this. Other things to try are: replace the SCSI card with
another one, replace the SCSI cables, make sure termination and other jumpers
are set correctly on all SCSI devices. For example, their is one SCSI jumper
setting (sorry, I don't remember which one) that must be set the same for all
devices on the chain.

If none of that works, or if you don't have SCSI, you will have to remove each
hardware device one at a time and see if the problem goes away. You might also
try replacing the power supply. Actually, I read somewhere that the power supply
is the one part of a PC that is most likely to fail (I've had several fail on
me). When they start to fail, all kinds of weird stuff can happen. Also, are all
your cooling fans working?

Hope this helps. I know how you feel - I lived with the problem for years before
I could finally afford a new system.

Nick