[filmscanners] RE: keeping the 16bit scans

> most audiophiles "dream" the difference in sound content they
> think they hear. I'd really love to have the facility to do some good
> double blind experiments.  The few I have seen reported on certainly
> support what I wrote.

Hi Art,

Though I agree with your statement to some degree, I think you do a good
number of audiophiles a dis-service.  Just like with imaging, it really
takes a good level of experience, and "training" the senses to see/hear the
differences in high end stuff.

Unfortunately, you can't just take anyone off the street and have them AB
high end systems, as they won't know what to listen for.  Go take a Piezo
B&W print done by an MF camera, and drum scanned, and contrast that to a
35mm scanned on an HP PhotoSmart and printed on an Epson 600...you'd be hard
pressed to find many that care about the image differences, much less able
to look at them and identify the differences...even much less the
differences between two Piezo workflows...or some other subtle imaging
detail, like sending 240PPI to the printer, or upsizing to 720 so the
printer driver doesn't interpolate.

Regards,

Austin