[filmscanners] RE: HD failure [was RE: keeping the 16bit scans}

I agree; it also refers to a sample population as a whole or at large
and not to individual hard drives.  Thus, one cannot on the basis of the
data say what particular hard drive will fail or when it will fail.  The
same goes for the "start/stop" data; it refers to a general sample
population and not to individual drives.  To make any such inferences
from the statistical data to particular individual drives is to commit
what is know as the ecological fallacy.

---