[filmscanners] RE: keeping the 16bit scans; now=HDlongevityOT

A fascinating perspective which quashes all my qualms about leaving my
stuff on 24/7. But now I'm concerned about my monitor, which I put in
power saving mode during the day and physically turn off at night. Maybe
this is a bad idea??? When it goes into power saving mode and then I
bring it out with a mouse move, I get this big, "boing!" sound. This
MUST be stressing the electronics, somehow, don't you think? Maybe it
would be better to just let a blank screen saver run 24/7 when I'm not
using the monitor. At least I'm not throwing electrons away. What do you
think?

I'm especially concerned because I have a 21" CRT monitor of a quality
that hardly seems to being built anymore these days, what with the
fascination with flat panel LCD monitors, where the color shifts if you
move your head back and forth a couple inches. Bad for critical color
work! I dread the day my CRT monitor goes and I might not be able to
replace it with equal quality, at least for less then $2K.

Does anyone know the wisdom of using a plasma display for critical color
work? Of course the price is prohibitive now, but maybe not in five
years when my dearly beloved Cornerstone p1700 blows.

Frank Paris
frankparis@comcast.net