[filmscanners] RE: keeping the 16bit scans

> Wear reduces the live time of the HD and increases the chances of losing
data. So
>why have the HD spinning all the time and expose it to other risk if you
can
>simply just unplug it and spare it from all that?

Yes, to a point, but turning the hard drive on and off (plugging and
unplugging it) is also hard on the drive and causes wear which will result
in the same impacts and outcomes.  Thus, you are merely trading one source
of wear for another.  In the long run, I am not sure that either sources of
wear result in making all that much of a contribution to drive failure or
data loss as compared to other factors.